|1956 GARDNER 8L3|
The 1956 Gardner 8L3 diesel engine powered the Mill Bay ferry until 2001. It was completely restored by Mr. William Granoukos of Black Creek who passed away in June 2009. The engine was proudly donated to the Maritime Heritage Centre by his family. It weighs in excess of 8500 lbs and as shown in the photographs, it was quite the effort to move it into place.
This style of marine diesel engine dates back to the early 1930s. They produce approximately 150 HP at 800 RPM and consume a miserly 10 litres per hour of diesel fuel.